Solid State Regulator

This Forum is for Puch Motorcycle related topics.
Falcon_52

Solid State Regulator

Post by Falcon_52 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Gents - I want to get your thoughts on this. Last summer I installed a Kleiber solid state voltage regulator (from RBO) because the original was long gone and I had a 1940s Harley Davidson voltage regulator "rigged" up for a long time and it worked well but was too large to fit in the generator cover, required running extra wire to the cavity where the coil lives, and was generally messy. I wanted a cleaner, more reliable solution.

Anyway, after a long ride this weekend I woke up to a dead battery the next morning. The bike was running great the day before so I started troubleshooting and traced the problem to the regulator. Looks like something failed because I was only seeing 1 ohm between the generator and the battery connections at the regulator but this should have been an open connection with the bike off and the generator not producing any voltage. Basically, the generator completely drained the battery.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this with these solid state rectifiers? It was a pretty hot summer day; maybe there was too much heat from the engine casing/components. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Noel
Owner of a 1959 Sears/Puch 175

Englishpuchman

Re: Solid State Regulator

Post by Englishpuchman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:32 am

Hello Noel, I have had a similar problem a few weeks ago on another bike with a solid regulator. The fault caused the regulator to be kapputt! :x not what you want! as the regulators are expensive.The problem was a bad earth on the rear light and a stop light switch ,which had stuck on!! so the light wasn't showing but with the bike running the regulator is trying to charge the battery but with the bad earth it was shorting out to earth which was enough to cook the regulator.so Noel check your connections and also if by chance you wired the battery up wrong ie +positive to earth the result will be the same!!! one blown regulator. Hope you find the problem :) Bernie
Puch 1949 TF restored

Puch 175SVS being restored
Puch 175SV motor needs pistons :)44mm(they available in Italy but £110 each??) :(
Puch 175 SVS (french import with Fisher carbs)

Falcon_52

Post by Falcon_52 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:48 am

That's a good point. I thought I checked for other shorts but I think I will go back and double/triple check to be sure. I certainly don't want to blow up another regulator; those certainly are expensive. Thanks!

Noel

Madnorton

Post by Madnorton » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm

I used one of these, should have the wiring diagram somewhere or on photobucket. Mine was 6V 11A

http://dynamoregulators.com/dvr4.php

Falcon_52

Post by Falcon_52 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 am

Thank you for the link. Does this one mount straight into where the original was or does it need to be relocated?