Removing some patina...

This Forum is for Puch Motorcycle related topics.
olpuchguy

Removing some patina...

Post by olpuchguy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:54 am

Here's a not-well-color-balanced set of pics of a fork ear before and after an overnight soak in Evapo-Rust. "Before" was washed in a warm Dawn Dishwashing solution to remove the grime. "After" is a soak in Evapo-Rust...a lot of the rust is gone; it also seems to somehow revitalize the paint, without disturbing it all. Plans are to eventually clay bar the piece, compound it, then wax. I know the remaining rust will remain active - but that's ok. Given how the bike will be used and protected, I'll not have a clear coat or silicone coating to deal with if future plans call for a repaint (they won't) - and I think the remaining "patina" will be just fine. The frame will be a bit cumbersome because of its size/need to have a large container of the solution to soak it in: I'm going to experiment with just covering the frame in Evapo-Rust-soaked shop towels. At any rate - this method seems to suit my purposes perfectly. I hope my picture-posting skills have improved. Not likely, but I hope so.

On another note - it's a shame all the photos have disappeared from the 175 resto on this site. It's still a great, highly informative "read".
If that exhaustive posting is ever available in some kind of published/digital form, sign me up. Nothin' else like it.
Dennis
1969 SR125 sold
1964 150A sold
1965 150A sold
1958 175 Standard
1960 125 Hardtail
1980 Puch Magnum II
1960 Sears Allstate 123.94401 (Yardman Motorette) sold
1960(?) Sears Allstate 1233.94400 (Yardman Motorette) sold
1958 Sears 811.30 scooter sold